These are exactly like the store bought kind and very easy to make.
- 50 (approx.) medium pickling cucumbers
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 pkg sweet pickle mix (Found in canning section of grocery store)
- 3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 3/4 cups white vinegar
- with a soft brush, scrub and rinse cucumbers thoroughly in cold running water. Remove 1/8 inch slice from each end. You can slice the cucumbers crosswise in to 1/16 inch slices. I left mine whole in the picture above and they worked out just fine. Combined the cucumbers with onions and red pepper; and set aside.
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine Sweet Pickle Mix, sugar and vinegar. Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil. Add prepared vegetables; turn heat off; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Pack hot vegetables into hot 500ml mason jars to within 3/4 inch of top rim. Add hot liquid to cover pickles to within 1/2 inch of top of jar and secure lids in place.
Then finish off the canning process and let the jars sit undisturbed for 24 hours.
You will be amazed at how much better they taste then the store bought ones and have the satisfaction that you did them as well. Plus the added bonus that you can brag about them the next dinner party you have.